To say Mickey Rourke is “our kind of guy” is like saying The Godfather was a good flick: It just doesn’t do the man justice. Much of his body of work reads like The Man Guide’s list of the best dude films of all time: Diner, The Pope of Greenwich Village, Year of the Dragon, Nine 1/2 Weeks, Bar Fly, Sin City, The Wrestler, Iron Man 2, The Expendables, and Sin City: A Dame to Kill For.
Beyond his acting chops, we love that he’s lived life on his own terms and either dated or married the hottest women in Hollywood. He took a break from acting to try boxing – not yoga or pilates. The guy’s definitely a man’s man and we respect him for it.
Here are our Top Ten Favorite Mickey Rourke Quotes:
1. “I don’t mind getting punched in the nose by a guy standing in front of me. It’s getting stabbed in the back that I can’t handle”.
2. “My dogs are more important than my family”.
3.” Where I come from, being a hard man is being able to take a good beating and then get back up again and carry on fighting”.
4. “I grew up in a gym in Miami, the one where Muhammad Ali trained. I had 142 amateur fights and lost three”.
5. “Wrestling and boxing is like Ping-Pong and rugby. There’s no connection”.
6. “I spent so long studying really hard to become a fine actor, but threw it all away because I got the adulation and the fame so easily”.
8. “I still work out most days. When I do it, I go full blast five or six days a week, two to three hours a day. I enjoy it. It’s therapeutic for me”.
9. “You want to earn respect in your old age. You want to walk into a restaurant and have people say: ‘There’s Mickey Rourke. He was great in ‘The Wrestler.” You don’t want them jumping out of windows”.
10. “All I am hoping for is to be able to work – I think my best work is still ahead of me – I think all that I have been through in the last several years have only made me a better, more interesting actor”.